After a Sexual Assault

If you have been sexually assaulted, you are encouraged to seek medical attention and explore your reporting options. A Student Victim Assistance staff person can assist you in exploring these options. Remember, sexual assault is not your fault. As you explore your options, below you will find a list of suggestions of what survivors should do following an assault:

Seek Safety

Make sure you are safe from further harm. Call someone you trust, such as a friend. In addition, there are many places on campus to seek support and assistance. The Counseling and Testing Center, Student Victim Assistance and the Student Health Clinic provide confidential services to students who have experienced a sexual assault. If you have concerns about your immediate safety, you can contact the Georgia State University Police Department (404-413-3333) on campus and local police (911) off campus. Student Victim Assistance provides 24/7 crisis line support. You can contact us for resources and support.

Seek Medical Attention

Go to a local rape crisis center or emergency room. The closest hospital to the Georgia State University campus is Grady Memorial Hospital. For medical assistance near you, visit our resources page or contact Student Victim Assistance for more information. Medical attention is vital, as you may have injuries of which you are unaware. They can also test you for sexually transmitted diseases and provide emergency contraception if desired.

It is important that you receive treatment at a facility where the staff is specially trained to provide care for sexual assault survivors and to use the correct methods for evidence collection. If you have any questions before or after medical treatment, you may contact Student Victim Assistance.

Preserve Evidence

If you choose to have evidence collected, the sooner this is done, the more reliable and potentially useful it will be. Even though you may feel the urge to do so, do not bathe or douche. Try not to urinate if possible. If oral contact took place, do not smoke, eat or brush your teeth. If you have already changed clothes, place them in a paper bag (plastic destroys evidence). If you have not changed, keep the original clothes on and bring an extra set to wear home from the hospital. The police may need to keep your clothes for evidence.

Victims of sexual assault in the state of Georgia may request, at no cost, a forensic medical examination regardless of whether the victim participates in the criminal justice system or cooperates with law enforcement in pursuing the prosecution of the crime.

You do not need to formally report the incident to seek medical attention or support services from the university. Contact Student Victim Assistance for more information about resources on and off campus.